Saturday, March 2, 2013

Intentional Mommyhood


Last weekend my friend Sarah and I attended the dotMom conference in Frisco.  It was an incredible experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I know that I am a new mom and haven't faced even a small percentage of the struggles that I have in store for me, but that doesn't mean I cannot be prepared!  



Part of the conference focused on how to be a more spiritual and intentional mother.  It was definitely the kick in the rear I needed to see just what I need to do.  First off, I need to be spending more time with the Lord.  I have not been praying nearly enough for my marriage and family.  I don't want to be the type of mom that only prays for my family when we are in trouble.  It's too easy to only spend time with God when we are asking for help.  I want to THANK Him for all that he has provided for our family.  Both the blessings and struggles.  I know that He puts "speedbumps" in our life for a reason, even if I don't quite understand why.

Kissing my baby goodbye before I attended the second day of the conference

Another part of the conference that touched my heart was recognizing where my priorities are.  Too many times I come in the house after picking up Evan and turn the tv straight on for "background noise."  If I continue this habit, what am I teaching Evan?  I don't want him to believe that our family relies on that background noise.  I want our home filled with conversation and interaction.  I don't want these distractions to take away from our family time.  Evan has grown up too fast already.  I don't want to miss this next month of his babyhood because I am too concerned with what is on my DVR.  


Travis Cottrell leading worship

I've also realized that in the age of Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram that I need to put. the. phone. down.  Seriously, it's like another limb attached to me.  And I'm not proud of it.  I want to be more present for my son instead of doing a quick Instagram check while he plays with a book.  I should be HOLDING that book.  I should be soaking in all the learning and experimenting he is engaging in.  My new goal is to plug my phone in when I walk in the door and take time to show Evan some undivided attention. I still need to make dinner, so there is no room for other distractions!  Will I still be pinning things on my favorite boards?  Yes.  But those things can wait until he goes to bed.  Do I need to be reading all the blogs I that I follow as soon as I walk into the door?  No.  Sherry and John from younghouselove will still be there when Evan goes to sleep.  

Angie Smith's books that I am dying to read

I am a little ashamed to say that it took 11 months of Evan's life to realize some of these simple things, but at least it happened now and not in 5 years.  

So if you are a mom, I invite you to join me on this transition.  To be a more intentional mother to our children.  To be a spiritual influence on them as they figure out this thing called life.

Sarah and I on the first day of the conference

In the meantime, I'll be reading and playing with my growing baby boy!


So happy to be home!

1 comment:

Nick Flores said...

Sounds like a great conference! Love the pictures and can't wait to see y'all in less than a month!